AR 27-3, The Army Legal Assistance Program, sets out who can receive legal help and under what circumstances. Legal assistance will be provided as resources permit and in the following order of priority:
1. National Guard servicemembers serving on active duty on orders for 30 days or more.
2. National Guard servicemembers undergoing premobilization legal preparation (and their family members).
3. Other Active Component (AC) and Reserve Component (RC) servicemembers and their eligible dependents as part of premobilization legal preparation;
4. Surviving family members of AC, RC, and retired members of the Armed Forces of the United States who would be eligible for legal assistance if the service or retired member were alive.
5. Retirees who receive military retirement or disability pay; and
6. Other persons authorized by the Staff Judge Advocate.
1. Premobilization legal preparation such as drafting or updating wills, advance medical directives, SGLI guidance, and powers of attorney and SCRA and USERRA counseling;
2. Family law advice (divorce, family care plans, child support, child custody, etc.);
3. Landlord/tenant matters
4. Consumer debt issues
For more information, call CPT Kelly A. Bennett directly at (401) 275-4184 or email at Kelly.email@example.com to set up an appointment.
*** Please note that if you work full-time for the RI National Guard and are scheduled to deploy, you must make an appointment during the week to get your premobilization legal needs squared away. Only M-Day Soldiers will be able to see a legal assistance attorney during an SRC/SRP on a drill weekend.
Staff Judge Advocate: Lt. Col. Robert Williamson
Attorney-Advisor: Maj. Kelly A. Bennett
Legal Administrator: CW2 Donna Cordero
Veterans Crisis Line
Substance Abuse Line